Monday, August 14, 2006

A Day at the Fair

I took a few hours today off from laying out the September/October issue of the magazine and getting the August 15th Enewsletter ready to send out to have some fun at the Montgomery County Fair with my brother, his wife, and my two young nieces.

I also entered about 17 flowers last Saturday into various categories for the Agriculture judging and today I found out the results. This is the only kind of plant or flower contest I enter and frankly it is more to boost the fair participation )as they've had slim pickings to judge these past few years) than to earn actual prizes.

Well, I did not do as well as last year's first and second prizes -- this time around I have two third-places, one fourth, and one fifth. I'm surprised I even got those as on the way to the judging my flowers were smushed and my coleus clipping was pretty much in tatters despite the best of my efforts to get them safely intact to the event. I've learned my lesson and will stick to hardier selections from now on. Oh well, there is always next year! Pictured here is a grand prize winner in the rose category - must definitely NOT from my garden, but is my inspiration to prep more next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...