Sunday, November 19, 2006

Buy Local Day

Yesterday was Buy Local Day. As a local gardening magazine, I'm thinking this is a great new annual tradition. It will at least bring attention and some education to that aspect of our global lives. Washington Gardener magazine uses a local printer, local writers and photographers, local office supply sources, etc. The only thing I haven't been able to find locally is a good garden cartoonist. Anyone know one in the DC area?

Putting a "local business" sign at our booth during the recent GreenFest was a great idea that had a good reaction from all attendees and one we'll continue to do. Trying to brainstorm now how else to convey our local-ness. I think it is obvious -- inherent in our publication name and mission -- but many, many people come up to me and ask if we are independent or a local-company. This is usually asked in a tone with a bit of edge or attitude to it. Then they follow up with the same questions -- where are you from? what is your gardening background? your journalism background? It is really pretty tiresome to continually repeat these same answers - though once I'm through the questioners seem fully satisfied.

I'm not sure where these questions come from, except maybe they've been duped before - if so, then by whom? Do they think I'm a front for Home Depot? Or shilling for some big garden catalog like Burpees? Or just pretending to be from here? Next time I'm asked, I'll start grilling them back and investigate more on this misguided perception and its origin.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:17 AM

    I see your next t-shirt:
    1. I'm a local business
    2. I grew up in MD - went to HS in Germantown
    3. I have a journalism degree from U of MD
    4. I don't front for Home Depot, Lowes, Burpee, etc.
    5. I am an experienced gardener and have a FANTASTIC garden to prove it!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...