Friday, April 06, 2007

Long, thin, slimy ones; Short, fat, juicy ones...

My article on Vermiculture (aka Worm Farming) is out today. Read the Washington Examiner version of the article online here (April 6 edition - page 61), or grab the print version at the red street boxes around town today - the article is on R13 (Real Estate section - page 13).

The photo, taken by Chip Py of his Global Worming Worm Tea army, is in the Examiner in black ink only - so I thought I'd share with you the full-color version here. Um, um -- I hope you are not eatting spaghetti for dinner tonight ;-).

While researching the article I found a lot of fun worm facts. Here is a fun one from the University of Illinois Worm Facts page: Worms are hermaphrodites. Each worm has both male and female organs. Worms mate by joining their clitella (swollen area near the head of a mature worm) and exchanging sperm. Then each worm forms an egg capsule in its clitellum. I like this fact because it involves learning of a new vocabulary addition -- somehow I'm going to have to slip "clitella or clitellum" into an otherwise boring conversation soon. For example, "Gee, doesn't that outfit she has on remind you of a worm's clitella." Be sure to click on this link to see exactly where that is located on your average earthworm. Glad you stopped by to visit my blog today, aren't you.

We got a really nice shout out on March 28 from Doug Green at his blog, Doug Green's Garden. Doesn't he have the perfect name for writing about gardening? I "met" Doug through an online garden writer's list shortly after I started the magazine and have been getting his weekly enewsletter since. Although we garden in completely different zones, I find his garden advice sound, and compelling -- if not a few weeks behind our growing season.

Funny how I just love to have a jab at the Northerners, meanwhile I'm green with envy at those Key West orchid growers that Doug recently profiled. We are enduring a nasty cold front now - though the sun came out today and warmed things up for a bit. Meanwhile, I see tender summer annuals were delivered to a few area hardware and supermarkets yesterday. Hope their employees are at least bringing them in for the night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...