Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Garden Clubs Meetings are the Cure for the Winter Blahs

I recently shared my Cures for the Winter Blahs over in a guest post at the DC Ladies blog. I'm thinking today, with the miserable ice storm we had overnight here in the Mid-Atlantic, we could all use some small does of spring. I list a few ways to do that in the DC-area such as a visit to the US Botanic Garden's tropical conservatory.

Another way I get away from winter is by attending as many garden club meetings as I can. Truly, this is the time of year to get out and listen to talks on wonderful subjects from creating miniature terrariums to growing heirloom vegetables. This past week I attended the local chapter of the Rock Garden Society's monthly meeting and a talk hosted by my own Silver Spring Garden Club. (I'm the current president.) Later this week is a potluck and indoor plant exchange with the Takoma Hort Club and next week is a lecture put on by the Four Seasons Garden Club.

At one recent event, a lady, who is in several clubs, said to me, "Oh, I only attend one or two garden club meetings a month, that is usually more than enough for me." My own philosophy is so entirely the opposite, if I have the evening free and I'm a member of the club (or could easily attend as a guest or join at the door), why wouldn't I go?!? Even though my garden may be encased in ice, doesn't mean I have to be! Hope to see YOU at a local garden club meeting soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...