Wednesday, April 20, 2011

When to Prune Spring Flowering Trees and Shrubs


Washington Gardener Enews ~ April 2011

INSIDE THIS ISSUE:

~ When to Prune Spring Flowering Trees and Shrubs

~ Magazine Excerpt: Final Frost Dates and WHEN to Plant

~ Reader Contest: Passes to Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens’ “Stickwork” Sculpture show

~ Washington Gardener's Recent Blog Post Highlights

~ Spotlights Special: New Primrose Variety ‘Drumcliff’

~ Mid-Atlantic Garden To-Do List

~ Washington Gardener Magazine 2011 Day Trip Details

~ Upcoming Local Garden Events

~ Washington Gardener Magazine Back Issue Sale!

and much more...

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad to have found you! I'm new to gardening in this area. I moved here from Texas so the answer to my, when do I plant question, was in this newsletter--I never knew about the bare bottom test! I didn't see pear trees in the pruning list. Our smallish tree is done blooming and it's crazy looking from neglect. It has low branches that poke. Did I mention I'm really glad to find you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin - am so glad you found us too! If it is a fruit-bearing pear tree, it should be pruned in late winter/very early spring. If it is an ornamental (no real fruit) pear, then you are safe to prune after it finishes flowering. Remember, you can prune off broken, diseased, dead, or "poking" branches anytime really as they are a hazard to the plant's health and possibly to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the blog post! I'll be subscribed from now on! Great tips on pruning and tree care.

    -Samudaworth Tree Service

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...