Friday, July 15, 2011

Garden Blogger Bloom Day BLING


Close-Up
 This Garden Blogger Bloom Day brings a bit of *BLING* to my garden in the form of Jewels of Opar (Talinum paniculatum) aka Fameflower of Jewels of Ophir.

The basal foliage is a bright, lime-green and is thick, almost succulent-like. The blooms are tiny pink things heald aloft of spring-y, spindly spikes, rather like a Heuchera. The "gems" of this plant are the ruby beads (seedpods) on the flower sprays.

I have it in a large container and part shade and it is doing very well -- doubling in size and blooming its head off just a few weeks after planting it. It is fairly drought-tolerant, which is good for summer here.

Whole Plant
 I got three baby plants from Doug R., a garden club friend who loves in Rockville, MD. Don't you love pass-a-long plants? It is an annual here and self-sows readily I hear, so we'll see if I have some to share next year.

PS If you are reading this post at the original posting on Washington Gardener Magazine's blog (washingtongardener.blogspot.com), you can click on the photos and view them at full size.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not familiar with this plant, but I do like those delicate pink blooms. Lime green foliage always is a plus for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Rose! The lime green foliage itself is worth it, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Glad it's doing so well for you, Kathy! If anyone else would like some Jewels of Opar, PLEASE come take some off of my hands!

    It is a lovely little border or container plant! You can email me at doug.reimel AT gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice garden. You have a green thumb, congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...