Monday, September 05, 2011

Crafty Gardeners Share their Favorite Projects

Our August 2011 Washington Gardener Magazine reader contest call for crafty area gardeners brought out some impressive entries! Here are some of the inventive creations by Mid-Atlantic gardeners.

Lynn T. of Lanham, MD shared her artistic craft: "Ed A. and I were captivated by the hanging mirror art at the American Visionary Art Museum in Baltimore -- so we went to a workshop given by the artist, Bob Benson, at his home in Glen Burnie, MD. Here is a photo of one that I did at his workshop. These were easy, great fun, and even imperfect work looks wonderful flashing in the sun."
 
Madeline C. of Washington, DC says: "Garden crafts I have created are various support structures made out of bamboo. My husband (with my help) made a bamboo fence, we both made a bamboo trellis (see pics at TakomaHort.org), and I have made smaller bamboo supports (mini-trellises) for house plants. I like the look of bamboo, that it can be made into functional items for the garden, and that bamboo is a renewable garden resource."

"My garden craft is my wattle fence, which is rustic even by wattle standards. Three pictures are attached. I started the fence in the Spring of 2010, using small branches from a cedar tree that my neighbors lost in that winter's storms for the vertical posts. Then I started weaving wattle from any source I could find, so it's quite an eclectic mix. Existing wattle dries out and breaks, so I always have my eye out for new wattle," said Sue H. of Kensington, MD

Rachel E. of Alexandria, VA submitted her entry noting: "I have experimented with terrariums a little bit - here is a wall bubble that I purchased and then put in a small succulent from this summer's farmers market with a tiny ceramic turtle that I purchased at a random souvenir shop in Costa Rica. It is hanging above my desk and I love to observe it while thinking/taking a break from the work day."

Holly B. of Sunderland, MD modestly wrote, "One of the garden crafts that I make is dish gardens in emu egg shells. Here is a picture."

Kenneth M. of Washington DC said, "I haven't actually made much in the way of garden crafts, which seems unusual, given my crafty bent. But! I do plan on making little plant pockets over the winter for a massive guerilla gardening project in the spring. (For example, see: http://agritate.tumblr.com/post/9511264823/a-great-combination-of-my-passions-crafty)." Kenneth, those are a darling idea. I do hope you share photos of the project when you complete it!

*Drumroll* And the winner chosen at random from among the submitted contest entries is Holly B. of Sunderland, MD! She wins a copy of Terrarium Craft: Create 50 Magical, Miniature Worlds by Amy Bryant Aiello and Kate Bryant from Timber Press. Easy to make and a wonder to behold, jewel-like terrariums are winning over a new generation of crafters and gardeners. Terrarium Craft is the first step-by-step project book for this new audience. Authors and nursery owners Amy Bryant Aiello and Kate Bryant offer up everything a beginning terrarium crafter needs to get started, from advice about tools and materials, information about plant choices and simple maintenance tips. 50 unique projects offer fantastical inspiration alongside easy-to-follow instructions and ingredients lists.

I hope you all are as inspired as I am by these crafty gardener entries and will post (with photo links) any creations you make in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...