Friday, August 10, 2012

Fenton Friday: Potato Dig

Tomorrow is the entry date for the Montgomery County Fair, so I looked over the possible categories to see what I could cull from my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Garden to enter. In most all categories, you have to have 5 of each time. (Some like Okra you have you have 10!) Most of my stuff is not in large enough numbers ready/ripe at the same time. Right now at my plot that pretty much leaves the Little Finger carrots and my German Butterball potatoes.

So I dug up some of each to make sure they'd be "fair worthy." As you see in the photo here, some of my potatoes have rotted -- the dark one on the right is soft and pliable -- nothing you'd want to eat. I will dig more this evening in hopes of finding 5 of about equal size and that are nice (e.g. not rotting). It is always a mystery what the judges are looking for in these contests as there are no guidelines beyond the simple category names, but "squishy" would definitely not earn me a ribbon.

I had also planned to enter my garlic -- though their are several onion categories, there is none for garlic and am not sure if "vegetable - other" really applies. In addition, I'll be submitting my usual cut flowers (single hydrangeas, roses, etc.), but also trying for the first time to flower arranging categories with a simple mixed-flowers in a tea cup entry I'm putting together.

Are you entering your local fairs? If so, feel free to brag here about your ribbon haul.

2 comments:

  1. Younger leaves tend to be more bitter than older leaves. The weather may well have something to do with it, as could your soil. It's hard to tell, but for any bitter leaves I tend to soak in very salty water for half an hour, rinse several times and then cook. This tends to temper the bitterness. Delhi Flowers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi — very nice metaphors! I teach holistic practitioners how to build their businesses, and I use the idea of the “personal compost pile” quite a lot in reference to life experiences many people would throw away or ignore. When you allow your whole life to be part of who you are now, you obtain quite a wonderful yield from every day! So, like Jillian, I’ll probably borrow the phrase, too because it works on so many levels.Bhubaneswar Flowers

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...