Monday, July 15, 2013

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day: A Few Choice Blooms

It is Garden Blogger's Bloom Day again! On the 15th of each month, we gardeners with blogs share a few bloom photos from our gardens. Here is the Mid-Atlantic USA (USDA zone 7) on the DC-MD border, we have had an unusually wet spring and just now hit a week-long heat wave. The weeds are growing, well, like weeds! Lots of wonderful things in bloom from various Echinacea to numerous Hydrangea, but this month I thought I'd just share a few blooms that are unusual or caught my eye.

First up is this Weigela shrub which just popped into bloom yesterday -- very odd. It usually blooms in early May and then again in late summer/early fall. I do not think I've ever had mid-summer blooms on it before.










Next is this Scaveola that I order for the Silver Spring Garden Club's GardenMart in May and I do not believe one single plant sold. So I ended up buying up the tray and plopped them all in my sidewalk median strip. You all who passed it over at the sale really missed out!




Finally, here is a Gladioli that I bought at Aldi supermarket (of all places) in what the package said was a pastel-colored mix. Um, nope! All the blooms so far have been bright orange or cherry red. They are pretty, although definitely not what I had planned for that bed. I have been cutting and using them for indoors arrangements.

I hope you all bring some of your blooms indoors to enjoy as well -- I like to keep a vase next to my computer monitor, an the entry table, one at each bathroom sink, on my bedside table, and next to my kitchen sink. Where do you display your indoors blooms?

2 comments:

  1. Chaste tree looks wonderful. Moonbeam coreopsis. Interesting about your weigela... mine turned almost all brown (withered leaves) about a month ago... I'm hoping it will come back. We've been so wet I never thought to water it and it's an established shrub (~4 years old).

    Want to add that the McKee Beshers sunflowers are big and beautiful in full bloom right now. Go out there if you have not! It's better than it's been in a couple years. The parking lot was packed and overflowing early in the evening yesterday (photo clubs).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopped by Katie! I'm headed to McKees-Besher on Friday morning, hoping to avoid most of the crowds.
    Perhaps your Weigela has the opposite problem and the roots have rotted from too much water?
    And yes, loving the Chaste Tree (Vitex) I see all over DC - need to plant one myself, but for now will enjoy vicariously...

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...