Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Glad its Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!


I ran and got this shot of the Gladiola by my back fence in-between waves of the "polar vortex" storms coming though the Washington, DC area this Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day. I planted these bulbs in hard-pan soil next to the sidewalk and barely covered them, so I did not expect them to winter over -- especially given out record cold temps last season. This one, and a few others that are in bud and look to be ruby red, prove that zone hardiness in bulbs can be very unpredictable. I'm in solid USDA Zone 7, by the way, hot and humid summers and below-freezing but usually mild winters.

Elsewhere in my garden being pounded by a third wave of storms right now I have in bloom: 'Vanilla Strawberry' hydrangea and several other hydrangrea varieties, coneflowers, black-eyed susan, sunflowers, hollyhocks, balloon flower, heuchera, abelia, butterfly bush, trumpet creeper vine, and lots and lots of annuals from lobelia to marigolds to zinnias.

What is blooming in YOUR garden today?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...