Friday, October 28, 2016

Fenton Friday: End of Another Growing Season

Our cistern was drained this week and we were given notice to clear out all our summer produce plants by November 1. What a shame we have to be bound by arbitrary calendar dates at our community garden as my remaining plants are still going strong and it will be very mild (in the mid '70s) still next week. The frost/freeze that hit the area last Monday night skipped us and so I balk at pulling perfectly good plants out before need be.

I have many cool season things going on that should be fine through mid-winter. We cut out first good crop of Arugula (see recipe this Sunday on this blog) and the lettuce is ready soon too. In a few weeks, we'll pull our carrots and radishes.

I'll follow the rules though and make this the last Fenton Friday of the year since we will soon see a real frost and then everything else will be put to bed under a layer of straw and pine needles-- the asparagus, calendula, strawberry, and garlic -- will be there when I start the Friday plot postings back here next March/April. I hope you will join me once again and that your winter is a mild one.


On a side note, the student documentary filmed at the Fenton Garden back in July is completed and will be screened at the AFI Silver theater on November 9. If it gets put online afterwards, I'll be sure to post a link here as well.

UPDATE: The student docu showcase on 11/9 is sold out! You can get on the wait list here - https://cs16show1.eventgrid.com/,

About Fenton Friday:
Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 5th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...