Thursday, March 15, 2018

March Winds Blow on Bloom Day

It is Garden Blogger's Bloom Day again! On the 15th of each month, we gardeners with blogs share a few bloom photos from our gardens.

Here in the Mid-Atlantic USA (USDA zone 7) on the DC-MD border, we had had a very harsh winter -- below-freezing temps starting in November and rarely a break from the polar vortex -- not much snow, but awful winds. Then we had a tantalizing taste of a few warm days in February and we are back now to harsh, sub-average temps for March. Spring is coming, it is just taking its own sweet time....


In my garden, I have Winter Jasmine and Forsythia blooming at the same time, which is weird and confusing. The flowers on the Heather and Hellebores are right on time. Early bulbs are having a nice, long run due to the chilly temps -- Snowdrops, Crocus, Iris reticulata, Syberian Squill, Winter Aconite, and early-season Daffodils like 'Tete-a-Tete' -- are all putting on a pretty show. The Violas I had hoped would winter over all disappeared after the polar vortex freezes, I plan to replace them with a new batch as soon as I can get to a local garden center.

So what is blooming today in YOUR garden?


5 comments:

  1. Pretty Crocus!
    I lost my pansy plants to the cold weather this year.
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! Brings me hope that spring is on its way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, Lea and Corey!
    Happy Bloom Day to you too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been a rollercoaster month here as well a little north of you. We have experienced two snowstorms followed by bulbs emerging, then another snow to cover the landscape. Your Crocus are a lovely sign of spring on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lee @ AGNG - And I hear one more snow may be on the way for you. Bulbs are pretty used to that kind of back-and-forth weather cycle, thankfully. Have a happy spring!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...