Friday, April 06, 2018

Fenton Friday: Asparagus Emerging

The last post I wrote about the community garden plot we maintain at the Fenton Street Community Garden was in November. At that point, we'd had an early killing freeze that ended the growing season abruptly.

It has been a long, cold winter and a slow rev-up to spring.

Over the last few weeks, the interns and I have been planting seeds or various cool season edibles including Spinach, Radish, Cilantro, Carrots, and Lettuce -- many of these seeds are already up and will need thinning soon.

I also planted a 6-pack of Cauliflower seedling plants today.

We put a cover cloth over everything today because the weekend forecast is calling for a snow flurry and one final freeze.

One sign that spring is actually here is that the Asparagus has surfaced and I'll soon be able to harvest a few early spears.

How is your vegetable garden growing this week?

About Fenton Friday: 
Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 6th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...